Monday, August 3, 2015

Got Screwed by the Local Mall (well, sort of)

I went to the local mall for groceries and I noticed that they hid some tech accessories between the cheeses and the wines, so I decided to take a closer look and ended up buying a $5 7-port USB hub and a $7 tablet cover for my Lenovo A8. I got (semi-)screwed.

You know, some things are just too good to be true and when they seem like they are, they probably are. Let's start ranting about the USB hub. I have only one problem with it: it prevents my PC from booting up when I forget to unplug it. And that's a problem. You see, I planned on using this so that I could charge my various devices (eReader, tablet, smartphone, I'm planning on getting a smartwatch once I have the money) while still not having to give up my mouse, keyboard, headset and microphone. I need a ton of USB ports for that. And that's why my brain told me to buy this USB hub: I've been looking for one for quite a while now and I really don't like paying more than I need to as I can really use the money for other stuff like food, paying my bills and eventually buying new devices like the smartwatch I'm planning on buying. Seriously, I can use some savings. So I bought it and I pretty much wasted five bucks there.
Then, of course, there's the tablet cover. Now that one I can actually live with. It's a little bit low quality for my liking but hey, I can deal with that. It does exactly what I expected it to do and even a little better. So that kind of made up for my five bucks getting pretty much stolen by the mall. If they informed me about the products a little better instead of just putting it in the shelf with a price tag I would've happily paid the full $12 for the tablet cover alone and I would've left the USB hub where it was in the shelf. But then again, that's one other fool like me that gets tricked into buying that junk less. So I saved somebody $5. Or I could just plug it into the electricity outlet in my wall and use it as a 7-port wall charger? I'll try that.

That's it for this rant, I'm really happy with the tablet cover so I guess I can just let the USB hub problem go. For now.
I'm not even going to put pictures in because that would mean I'd be talking bad about a specific brand and I don't want to ruin anyone's business. If you make 7-port USB hubs, however, please try to use it and then reboot the PC it's connected to. You'll be a little bit disappointed if it's you, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment