Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Google Chrome App Review: Drumbit - Creating Music for Beginners

Drumbit is basically just a kind of soundboard you can use to create sound loops using various pre-made kits, so that creating music is now easier than ever before.

While apps like these really aren't new (you'll find quite a couple on any app store out there), they keep on convincing me to try them out. It's just something that I really love to do: create little loops of music and eventually, if they sound good, put them together and create myself a little song.
This one was really nice. Unlike with most others that I've tried out so far, you can actually choose every single sound. It's built up in a grid of squares, where you basically check the squares of the right instrument at the right spot in the timeline. This timeline consists of 16 beats, something that should probably get expanded in a future update because it's really not enough if you want to create a professional-sounding loop.
You also have the usual volume for every single instrument. This one isn't smooth like you'd expect it to be, but it doesn't have that annoying stutter either. It's pretty much like the volume on a smartphone: limited yet good enough.

A feature I really liked to play around with was the different kits. The coolest thing I've been doing with this is just creating a nice loop in one kit, and trying out what it sounds like in the other kits. It turns out that this actually... works! I really liked the different "songs" that I was able to create using this little trick and I think João Carlos Santos (the creator of the app) probably wanted this to be like that so that people could explore music in a different way. I know I'm just jumping to conclusions here, but he seems like a music genius to me.

I think that if you're planning on getting into music more than just putting the radio on every now and then to see what the newest trends are, you should at least try this app out to get a taste of how easy it can be to create music.
That's it for now, if you want to get the app just search it up on the Chrome Web Store.

2 comments: